30 • TROY Greek Community
– A sorority member who no longer attends college, but remains active
in her sorority through involvement in alumnae groups across the nation.
– A fraternity member who graduated college, but remains active in his
fraternity through involvement in alumni groups across the nation.
– A formal invitation to a potential member issued by a Greek organization
inviting a potential member to join.
– The day that potential members receive a bid.
– A local group of the larger national organization.
– An alternate name for initiation
– The name that applies to all Greek letter organizations that are
characterized by a ritual, a pin and a strong tie of friendship.The term “fraternity” is
also applied to a sorority.
– A term used to describe a member of an NPHC
organization who has either graduated from college, or completed the “alumni
status” process with their organization. Members of Greek chapters possess an
exclusive, lifetime membership to their organization.
– A series of special events sponsored by the Greek community to
promote community service and Greek unity.
– The formal ceremony during which a new member takes his or her
final vows for full membership in their organization.
– The governing body of fraternities on
– A sister/brother, son/daughter or grandson/granddaughter of an initiated
member of a sorority or fraternity.
– Someone who has been initiated into the chapter.
– A process by which interested persons become
members of most historically black Greek-lettered organizations.
– A newly initiated fraternity or sorority member, though this
term is not used by all organizations.
– An invitation to membership extended by a sorority after
the completion of membership recruitment which may be extended and
accepted without preferential or involved procedures.
– A governing body of the
national sororities on campus.
– A governing body of the
historically African-American fraternities and sororities on campus.
– A woman who has accepted an invitation to membership
in a sorority and who is working toward full membership but has not yet
–When new members are being
presented to the campus community, formally known as a Probate Show
– A service project undertaken by Greek chapters on the
campus, community or national level.
– A person who has accepted a formal bid
for membership and who is working toward full membership but has not yet
– An active member of a sorority who assists in membership
recruitment and counsels potential members who have problems or
questions concerning membership recruitment.
– A Greek name for YOU. Any person in good
standing at the college who participates in membership recruitment.
Generally refers to the 3-day mutual selection process in
which those seeking membership in an IFC or Panhellenic chapter participate.