In 1934, Troy State Teachers
College was invited to become a member
of the Southern Association of Col-
leges and Secondary Schools during the
association’s annual meeting. The move,
called the “most signifcant event of
the college’s history” by the Tropolitan,
meant that credits would be received
at full value at any southern college or
university and that graduates would be
eligible to teach in neighboring states.
In 1938, a crew of students constructs the campus lagoon.
TROY’s student newspaper, “The Tropolitan,” ceased publication
for four years during World War II. The frst edition following the war was published
Jan. 4, 1946.
TROY has a long
and storied relationship with the U.S.
military. In 1946, special classes were
formed for World War II veterans who
were entering as freshmen in the middle
of the term. Thirteen veterans enrolled,
11 of whom were entering freshmen. An
offce serving veterans of the war was
opened in Bibb Graves Hall in February
The enrollment of men outnumbered women for the frst time in the
college’s history in 1946-47.
In 1951, TROY estab-
lishes its frst extension course at Camp
Rucker, making it the college’s frst
formal military partnership
related Bachelor of Art and Bachelor of
Science degrees are made available to the
students for the frst time in 1947.
. Troy Broadcasting
Company locates a station on the Troy
Campus in 1946.
TROY was one of
15 colleges chosen nationally in 1953 for
a pilot program preparing teachers to deal
with the topic of religion in public schools.
In 1954, Alabama Gov. “Big Jim” Folsom led the charge to have the
word “teacher” dropped from the College’s name. The state Board of Education would
offcially take action in 1957, making the school’s name Troy State College.
In 1961, a separate Troy State College teaching
center is established at Fort Rucker, which evolves into the present-
day Dothan Campus.
The Greek system is developed on the Troy Campus in 1964
Continuing to grow its relationship with the military, a
teaching center is established in 1965 at Maxwell Air Force Base. The center
eventually would evolve into the present-day Montgomery Campus. Col.
Wood, commander of Maxwell Air Force Base and Dr. Ralph Adams, Chan-
cellor, sign the offcial agreement.
In 1965, Alice
Thornton of the TROY Art
Department designs the college’s
frst offcial seal, featuring a Greek
shield, a torch and a wide scroll.