This Week at TROY
News and information from around TROY
October is here. The temperatures have cooled down ever so slightly and our campuses are gearing up for Homecoming activities. This year’s theme is “The Trojan Games: A Beacon to the World,” reflecting both the international spirit demonstrated by the Summer Olympics and the 50th anniversary of Greek Life at the University.
While activities on the Troy Campus will begin next week, activities at the Phenix City, Montgomery and Dothan campuses will be held this week.
The Phenix City Campus kicked the celebration this morning with a community torch lighting and run ceremony. The Montgomery Campus will hold Homecoming activities from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesday around the Clock Tower on Curry Commons. The Dothan Campus will hold a Homecoming picnic at 11 a.m. on Wednesday on the quad. Read more.
Rosa Parks Museum community forum series kicks off Tuesday
Troy University’s Rosa Parks Museum will host a series of free community forums, beginning Tuesday, Oct. 4, that will address civil justice issues and current events. The panel discussions, “Real Talk: A Community Forum Series,” will be held Oct. 4, 11 and 18, beginning at 6 p.m. in the Rosa Parks Museum Auditorium on the Troy University Montgomery Campus. Read more.
TROY Public Radio Fund Drive continues through Saturday
TROY Public Radio’s 2016 Fall Fund Drive is under way and will continue through Saturday. The theme of the drive is “The Informed Choice.” Read more.
RFP yields new vendors
Troy University has completed an extensive RFP covering promotional items, apparel, point of service and event materials and exterior displays and signage. Employees may begin ordering from the new vendors, as awarded, once contracts are finalized. Vendors awarded in Category 1, Promotional Items, are: Communicorp; Logo Gram; Screentech; Geiger; and, LogoBranders. Vendors awarded in Category 2, Apparel, are: Boosters; Screentech; Communicorp; and, JNJ. Vendors awarded in Category 3, Point of Service and Event Materials, are: Geiger; Logo Gram; and, Communicorp. Vendors awarded in Category 4, Exterior Displays and Signage, are: Geiger; Communicorp; and, Logo Gram.
Traveling postcards exhibits to showcase state’s historic streets, buildings
Beginning this month, Troy University Libraries will present a pair of traveling exhibits created by faculty members of historical postcards showcasing cities and towns from around Alabama as a part of the lead-up to the state’s bicentennial celebration. Read more.
- Information Technology has several upcoming training opportunities available, many of which are available both on-site and via WebEx. Learn more and register online for upcoming sessions.
- The Montgomery Campus will hold its annual United Way Kickoff Party today from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Civic Room, Whitley Hall.
- The Department of Theatre and Dance will present a free performance of the play “Flyin’ West” at the Dothan Opera House on Tuesday. Showtime is set for 7 p.m. The performance is the first in a series of “TROY Tuesdays,” scheduled for the venue, spotlighting the students and faculty of the University’s College of Communication and Fine Arts. Read more.
- The Phenix City Riverfront Campus will host the Alabama/Mississippi Social Work Education Conference, Oct. 5-9. The theme for the conference is “Bridging the Gap.” Dr. Denise Green, interim dean of the College of Health and Human Services, and Dr. David White, Vice Chancellor of the Phenix City Campus will welcome participants.
- TROY volleyball will face off again the Tennessee Volunteers at 6 p.m., Wednesday in Trojan Arena.
- Troy University Libraries, the Department of Modern Language and Classics and Pragda will present “El Patron,” as a part of the Spanish Film Festival at 4 p.m. on Thursday in room 129 of Bibb Graves Hall. Other upcoming films, which will be shown at 4 p.m. in room 129 of Bibb Graves Hall, include: “Los Banistas,” on Oct. 13; and, “El Pais del Miedo,” on Oct. 27.
- The Dothan Campus will host a planning meeting for the managers of the Michelin Plant on Oct. 6-7.
- The Confucius Institute at Troy University will host the Conference of the Southeast Chinese Language Association’s 8th Symposium of Teaching Chinese in the State of Alabama at the Montgomery Campus, Oct. 7-8. The conference is sponsored by the Alabama Department of Education, the Alabama World Language Teachers Association, the Center for International Languages and Cultures and the Alabama Chinese Language Teachers Association.
- TROY softball will play a double header against Northwest Florida at the TROY Softball Complex on Saturday. The first game is set for 2 p.m.
- The local chapter of the Gold Wing Road Riders Association will offer motorcycle safety training on the Dothan Campus on Saturday, Oct. 8.
- The Montgomery Symphony Orchestra will present a concert at the Davis Theatre for the Performing Arts on the Montgomery Campus at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 10.
- The Charles Brooks Political Cartoon exhibit will be on display in the Everett Hall Art Gallery on the Dothan Campus through Nov. 15.
Congratulations to the following for their achievements:
- Lauren Cochran, departmental secretary for First-Year Studies in the John W. Schmidt Center for Student Success, has received the University’s Vergil Parks McKinley Award. The award was presented during a ceremony on Sept. 27. Read more.
- The following employees received the quarterly Reward Caller Awards during a ceremony on Sept. 27: Brittany Zindol, Lloyd White, Tracy Roberts, Cathy Register, Leslie Patton and Kelsey Burgans.
- Elaine Bassett, coordinator for Instructional Support Services, and Kathy Bradshaw, accounting coordinator for Accounts Payable, retired effective Oct. 1.