Testing is not required if you have previously:
- Completed a Bachelor's or Associate's Degree.
- Taken ENG 1101 (Comp. 1) or MTH 1112 (Pre-Cal Algebra) with a grade of “C” or better.
- Taken one of the following tests and met the listed required score.
- * ACT English Component Score of 20 or higher.
- * ACT Math Component Score of 23 or higher.
- * SAT EBRW Component Score of 510 or higher.
- * SAT Math Component Score of 550 or higher.
- Previously taken a COMPASS or ACCUPLACER exam at another institution in the past 3 years (scores must be provided).
- Taken and received credit for an AP Exam.
If you are not sure if you need to take the test or which parts of the test you will be required to take, the following information is given to assist you.
Take the placement test if you:
- If you do not have ACT/SAT scores, you will need to take the ACCUPLACER exam.
- If your English Component ACT sub score is between 18-19 OR your SAT EBRW score is between 480-500, you are eligible to take the English Area placement exam.
- If your Math component ACT sub score is between 20-22 OR your SAT Math score is between 490-540, you are eligible to take the Math area placement exam.
- If you meet both qualifications from 2 and 3 above, you are eligible to take the English and Math placement exam.
- If you are transferring from another college or university and have not successfully completed a college-level English Composition course and/or a college-level, algebra-based Mathematics course, you should take the placement exam.
The ACCUPLACER assessment is administered in the Center for Student Success Testing Lab- room 135C Eldridge Hall.
During non-peak registration times, an appointment is necessary to take the ACCUPLACER exam; calling ahead does ensure someone will be available to assist you. To schedule an appointment please call Mrs. Anderson at (334) 808-6241.
You can expect it to last somewhere between 30 min- 1.5 hours. Most importantly you should not rush. Students who relax and take their time are typically more successful test-takers.
In ACCUPLACER math, you will be asked to select a correct answer from a list of choices. You will be provided scratch paper and a basic calculator. NO OUTSIDE CALCULATORS ARE ALLOWED
The reading/writing section assesses your reading comprehension on a variety of topics related to grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure.
Immediately after testing, you will be provided with a print-out showing your scores. A testing staff person will review this information with you.
Every student is offered a maximum of two chances to take the placement exam- the initial attempt and one subsequent attempt. A student must wait at least 30 days before retesting and will be charged a $15 fee- payable at the time of the exam by cash or check.
After a student has used those two chances to test, approval from the Department Chair must be given before a student can reschedule and retake the exam.
ACCUPLACER provides FREE study material for students, select ACCUPLACER Test Prep Review.