About the Master of Social Work Program
If you are looking to open doors to better-paying local, federal and international
jobs in the field of social work, then Troy University’s Master of Social Work degree
could hold the key.
Graduates of the program are prepared to improve the quality of life and well-being of individuals, groups or communities through direct practice, international practice, research, policy, community organizing and teaching.
The Master of Social Work at TROY offers students two concentrations - direct practice with a focus on military families or organizational leadership and management with a focus on international social work.
The direct practice concentration offers students a one-of-a-kind opportunity in Alabama. Students will receive specialized training in providing advanced level social work services to individuals, families and groups. In addition, Troy University’s long partnership with the United States military, and TROY’s faculty with military backgrounds, provide the student the unique opportunity to gain focused training in dealing with military families. Graduates in this concentration have the opportunity to fill an unmet need in many areas of public and private social work in addition to filling the specific unmet need for social work services for our active duty military and reserve personnel.
The organizational leadership and management concentration is unlike any program currently offered in Alabama and provides graduates with the knowledge and skills necessary to manage resources within unique government structures both here and abroad. The concentration is one of only 20 such MSW programs offered in the U.S.
Career opportunities in the field of social work continue to expand. Upon completion of the degree, graduates may test for a license to practice.
Initially offered in a hybrid format with both online and face-to-face components, this terminal degree prepares graduates for a seamless transition from the classroom to a career.
Graduates of TROY’s Master of Social Work program will be equipped to:
- Identify as a professional social workers.
- Apply social work ethical principles to guide professional practice.
- Apply critical thinking to inform and communicate professional judgments.
- Engage diversity and difference in practice.
- Advance human rights and social and economic justice.
- Engage in research-informed practice, as well as practice-informed research.
- Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment.
- Engage in policy practice to advance social and economic well-being and to deliver effective social work services.
- Engage, assess, intervene and evaluate with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities.
- Engage in advanced practice.
Whether you are looking for a career in social work or looking to expand your horizons in your career, Troy University’s Master of Social Work offers you skills necessary to serve and impact the lives of others.
Public Disclosure of Social Work Licensure (MSW)