We appreciate your interest in Troy University.


Troy University is dedicated to making the transfer transition as easy as possible.  As required by
Alabama State Law, Troy University will take your course work as outlined on the STARS Transfer Guide and graduate you with the same number of hours as our native students in the same major (assuming you do not change majors).  The STARS Transfer Guide and the Troy University Area V page, if used correctly, guides the student through their first two years of course work and prevents loss of credit hours upon transfer to Troy University.  If you have obtained a STARS Transfer Guide for Music, we would strongly recommend that you print this page and use it along with your official STARS guide.  Upon transfer, please bring these documents so that we can insure a smooth academic transition from the community college to one of our Troy University Campuses. 


This is for use Alabama Community College students only.  If you are transferring to Troy University from another institution outside of the Alabama Community College System, please contact our
admissions office for up-to-date transfer information.

INSTRUCTIONS:  You are to follow the appropriate STARS transfer guide as directed in each AREA of your major specific guide, unless exceptions and/or recommendations are noted in the corresponding AREA(S) I-V on this TROY-AREA V document.  For any recommendations made below, please follow them within each AREA for a more seamless transfer experience to TROY.

MAJOR:  Music    (This major is available through the Troy Campus only)


AREA I-V Recommendations:

Additional AREA I-IV Recommendations:


A grade of "C" or higher is required in Composition I and II at Troy University.  "D" grades will not transfer.


When selecting courses from Areas II and IV, please note that at least one 6sh sequence in either Literature (Area II) or History (Area IV) must be completed.

TROY requires a World Music Cultures course (MUS 2240) and 6sh of a Foreign Language.  Students are strongly encouraged to only complete 9SH of the Area II hours (3sh in Literature and 6sh in a Foreign Language) at the community college in order to complete this World Music Cultures course at TROY.  If 12sh are completed in Area II at the community college, 3sh will count only as free elective credit at TROY.


A grade of "C" or higher is required in the Math course chosen.  "D" grades will not transfer.


When selecting courses from Areas II and IV, please note that at least one 6sh sequence in either Literature (Area II) or History (Area IV) must be completed.


The remaining 19 SH in Area V can be obtained at the community college by taking 19 SH from the following:

  • ORI 101 (Orientation to College)(1 SH)

  • MUS 111 (Music Theory I) (3 SH)

  • MUS 112 (Music Theory II) (3 SH)

  • MUS 113 (Music Theory Lab I)(Aural Skills) (1 SH)

  • MUS 114 (Music Theory Lab II)(Aural Skills) (1 SH)

  • MUS 211 (Music Theory III) (3 SH)

  • MUS 212 (Music Theory IV) (3 SH)

  • 6 SH Studio Courses (Individual Performance Instruction-Single Instrument)

  • 4 SH Music Ensemble (Band or Collegiate Singers)

Troy University Baccalaureate Degrees
The student seeking a baccalaureate degree must meet the following credit hour requirements:
1.  A minimum of 120 SH
2.  At least 50 percent of the degree program must be traditional academic credit
3.  No more than 25 percent of the degree program may be earned using portfolio based credit.
4.  At least 25 percent of the degree program must be completed with Troy University.
5.  Twelve (12) semester hours of work in each major field must be completed in residence at Troy University.
6.  Students must earn a minimum of 50 percent of all degree program hours on a senior college level in order to graduate from Troy University with a bachelor's degree

Please print this page, fill in your name and today's date, and attach it to your STARS Transfer Guide.  Together this page and the transfer guide comprise the articulation agreement for students in your major who plan to transfer to Troy University.

Your Name: __________________________________ Date: ___________________

Music Contact Person

(If you have questions please contact the following person)

Name:  Dr. Carla Gallahan
Office:  212 Smith Hall, Troy University, University Avenue, Troy, AL 36082
Phone:  334-670-3502

Other Helpful Links:

·      TROY Transfer Credit Listings

·      TROY’s General Studies Program

·      TROY Catalogs

·      TROY Home Page

·      TROY Admissions

·      TROY Financial Aid