Special Programs

Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP)

If You Are Already Serving in the United States Army Reserves (USAR) or Army National Guard (ANG)

If you are already enlisted in either the USAR or ANG, your benefits already include tuition assistance (up to $4,000 per year), GI Bill, and drill pay. Joining and contracting with Army ROTC adds a few more benefits:

  • Drill pay increase to SGT (E-5) rate
  • ROTC Stipend ($350-$500 per month – based on MS Cadet Level)
  • GI Bill Kicker ($350 per month) for being in ROTC
  • Non-deployable status – your college education won’t be interrupted by deployment
  • Officer training in your unit

If You Are Not in the USAR or ANG

To get into the SMP, students with no prior military service will attend Basic Combat Training (BCT) and Advanced Individual Training (AIT) during the summer and will be assigned to a local National Guard or Reserve unit upon completion of training. (Prospective cadets with prior military experience may simply be assigned to a unit.)

  • It is possible to join the ARNG and enroll in ROTC without going to Basic Training, but without Basic Training and AIT you are not eligible for the GI Bill, Tuition Assistance and Kicker.

  • In most cases, completing BCT and AIT will take longer than the summer break and cause you to skip a semester, or half semester of classes. However, many students see this as a good bargain for the amount of financial aid it makes you eligible for.

SMP Benefits

    • Up to 100% tuition and fees paid
    • $300-$500 monthly ROTC stipend
    • $303.76 monthly drill pay
    • $368/month GI Bill (requires completion of BCT and AIT)
    • $350/month GI Bill Kicker (requires completion of BCT and AIT)
    • Basic soldier skills (BCT) and job skills (AIT)
    • Hands-on military experience by participating in your unit training

Army National Guard SMP Benefit Fact Sheet

After Graduation

  • When you enlist in the USAR or ARNG you may choose an enlistment period of up to 6 years. However, as soon as you graduate college and get commissioned through ROTC (usually on the same day as graduation), your enlistment contract is terminated—no matter how much time is left on your enlistment.

  • Upon commissioning, you start a brand new career as an Army officer. That means that even though you were enlisted in the USAR or ARNG while going to school, you have the option of serving as an officer either full-time on Active Duty, or staying part-time as an officer in the USAR or ARNG. Again this is based on the type of ROTC contract you sign.

  • Also, the job specialty (MOS) you had while enlisted has no bearing on your career options as an officer. If you like the field you were in as an enlisted soldier, you can choose that field as an officer. For your accessions packet, you will be required to select five branches. Based on your accessions, the U.S. Army will select one of those branches you selected in your accessions packet, and based on the needs of the Army.

  • SMP does not lock you into--or out of--any commissioning options. You can still go on Active Duty, or switch from having been enlisted in the USAR to an officer in the ARNG (or vice versa). You can stay in your enlisted career field, or switch to something totally different. Again this is based on the type of ROTC contract you sign. See below for further information.

Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD)

  • Cadets who know that when they graduate they only want to serve in a reserve component (USAR or ARNG) can request a GRFD contract. A GRFD contract means that you will not—either voluntarily or involuntarily—be given an Active Duty assignment after commissioning. By signing a GRFD contract, you agree to pick either a USAR or ARNG assignment upon commissioning.

  • It is not necessary to sign a GRFD contract in order to get a USAR or ARNG commission; you can request USAR or ARNG at the same time (the end of your junior year) as you request your career branch and other commissioning options. SMP participation is not required for GRFD contracting.
Apply Now!