Frequently Asked Questions | Troy University

Frequently Asked Questions

International Students


YES. The Health Center in Hamil Hall should be the first place you go to if you need advice about your health. They will examine and treat you if you are sick, answer your questions if you want to know more about staying healthy, and will refer you to the best off-campus specialists or hospital if you need more care.

Most health care received at the student health center is covered by the student's international insurance plan. In the event that you become ill while studying at Troy, we will "advocate" for you to be sure that you receive the best care possible.

YES. In the unlikely event that you become seriously ill while at Troy, we might refer you to an off-campus specialist or to Troy Regional Medical Center which is a major medical center only 1.5 miles from campus.

If you have a medical emergency, or if you need immediate help when you are on campus, call 911 or Campus Security at 670-1999, they will respond to your call immediately (24 hours per day, 365 days per year) and arrange for you to be taken to the hospital for evaluation and treatment.

YES. That means that we will not discuss or disclose your medical history or treatment to anyone without your written permission. Not to teachers, not to family members, not to anyone. It is the law in the United States.

YES. That is why it is important to have medical insurance while you are living in the US.

You should also know that off-campus specialist or hospital care will be partially covered by the student insurance plan. Students should expect to pay any remaining costs related to off-campus specialists, emergency care, hospitalizations or other expensive tests or treatments. Please Note: While the Troy University International Student insurance pays up to 100% of covered expenses, no insurance plan covers 100% of all services.

YES. All full-time international students are required to carry medical insurance and students will be billed automatically. The US government requires students with J-1 visas to provide family insurance when they bring their spouse and children to the United States.