image fullwidth

Veterans Benefits

These are general guidelines that will help the process. However, you should check with the specific location you will attend. Contact information is at the end of this page.


Complete an application for regular student status and submit to the Admissions Office.

  1. Select a program of study (a requirement for VA benefits.)
  2. Submit a copy of your high school transcript.
  3. Take the placement test.
  4. Submit college transcripts from all other accredited institutions. These transcripts must be sent directly from the transfer institutions. Hand-carried transcripts will not be accepted.


Only students who have received a letter for admission may register. Academic Advisors and Counselors will assist in planning a class schedule. Have them indicate whether or not the course is part of the student’s program of study. (Only those courses within the student’s program of study are eligible to count toward veterans benefits.)

Program Selection

  1. Veterans receiving VA benefits may select any program leading to a degree offered at Troy University upon approval from the Veterans Services Office. Only one program may be pursued under certification for benefits. If the veteran decides to major in two programs at the same time, only one will be certified. The VA will not pay for courses that were taken under an unapproved program after the approved program is completed.
  2. Veterans may change a program of study and continue to receive benefits if the new program is approved by VA.

Class Attendance

The VA encourages veterans receiving benefits to attend all scheduled classes. Failure of a class due to attendance (FA) will result in the loss of benefits and pay back of veterans benefits already received for the course (s) in which a grade of FA was assigned.

Veterans Educational Benefits

The following must be submitted for the certification process to begin. No forms will be accepted individually. It is the veteran’s responsibility to assemble all needed materials and submit them to the Veterans Services Office.

  • Applicants Under Chapters 30, 32, 33, 34

    1. New applicants complete VA Form 22-1990 or,
    2. Transfer students must complete VA Form 22-1995 and,
    3. Submit copy of: DD214 - Report of Separation (Member 4 copy)
    4. Veterans eligible for CH34 benefits (entered service 1977 or earlier) also submit copies of:
      • Marriage certificate
      • Birth certificates of dependent children
      • Divorce decrees
  • Applicants under the new Post-9/11 GI Bill ® (CH33)

    The Post-9/11 GI Bill ® is a new education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. The program is also called CH 33. The effective start date for CH33 is August 1, 2009.

    FAQs about the new Post-9/11 GI Bill ®

    CH 33 allows for three separate benefit payments for most students:

    1. A tuition and fee benefit paid directly to Troy University
    2. A monthly stipend provided to the service member
    3. A book stipend of up to $1,000 per academic year.


    The Yellow Ribbon Program:

    1. Yellow Ribbon pays Out-of-State tuition charges
    2. Troy University does participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program


    To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program:

    1. You must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill ® ;
    2. You must not be on active duty or a spouse transferee of an active duty member
  • Applicants Under Chapter 35 (Survivors/Dependents)

    1. New applicants complete VA Form 22-5490 or,
    2. Transfer students complete VA Form 22-5495 and
    3. Provide Veterans VA File Number.

    In addition, the Military Officer's Assoc. of America (MOAA) offers interest-free loans.)

  • Applicants Under Chapter 1606/1607 (Reserves/National Guard)

    1. New applicants complete VA Form 22-1990- or,
    2. Transfer students complete VA Form 22-1995 and,
    3. Submit copy of DD2384 -Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).
  • All Applicants Under All Chapters

    1. Must submit: Records Checksheet


The first check should arrive SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS after the first day of classes or later if the veteran should apply for certification after classes begin.

Information about qualifying pay rates and payment dates for Chapter 30, 34, 35, 32 and 1606/1607 is available only through direct contact between the student and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Go to: or call 1-888-442-4551.

If you receive the Montgomery GI Bill ® Chapter 30 or Chapter 1606/1607, you must verify your attendance before payment is processed. You will not receive payment until VA receives your verification. You will have to verify your attendance on the last day of each month. You may do so via the automated telephone system at 1-877-823-2378 or via the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at

Veterans planning to enroll in mini-terms, or a combination of full semester and mini-terms, may want to contact the Veterans Affairs Office to determine their training status.

Certification Using Veterans Standard Of Progress

Veterans Services will not pay educational benefits if one of the following should occur:

  1. The veteran registers for classes that are not specified as necessary for the declared program of study. Depending on circumstances, deficiency or remedial courses may be certified for benefits.
  2. The veteran fails to submit all previous college transcripts for evaluation.
  3. The veteran registers for two or more courses and receives “F”, “U”, or grades for all courses for one semester.
  4. The veteran fails to convert an “I” grade to a letter grade within one year from receipt of the “I” Grade.
  5. The veteran receives a FA (failure to attend class) for the semester VA benefits are received.
  6. The veteran fails to achieve the minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for two consecutive semesters or sessions.

If Minimum Hours Attempted is 6 and over then the Cumulative GPA must be 2.0

The veteran like all students at this school will be placed on academic probation during the first semester or session the minimum cumulative GPA is not achieved. By the end of the probation semester, the veteran must attain the minimum cumulative GPA. The University cannot certify the veteran for benefits until a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 has been achieved.

Dependents Qualifying For Eligibility

All questions concerning child and/or spouse eligibility are to be referred to the Department of Veterans Affairs at: or you can call: 1 (888) 442-4551

Other Benefits

Tutorial Assistance
A veteran is eligible to receive up to $600 for tutorial assistance if approved by Veterans Services. Chapter 1606/1607 applicants will not be paid for receiving tutorial assistance.

The Work-Study program allows a VA student to earn the Federal or state minimum wage (whichever is higher) for up to 1,300 hours per year. The benefit is tax free and allows each VA student to “earn while he learns” while he or she is pursuing an approved post-secondary program of education on at least a three-quarter time basis.

The VA Work-Study student may only perform VA related work. This work might include preparing and processing VA enrollment certifications, checking VA student attendance records or checking for course changes.

Troy University certifies your enrollment status, programs and academic progress. All questions concerning payment are to be referred to the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1 (888) 442-4551 or by sending an electronic inquiry by going to:

Direct Deposit

EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) processing, also known as “Direct Deposit,” is now available to recipients of several of the VA education benefit programs. To find out if you can use Direct Deposit, or to stop or change your Direct Deposit, call 1 (877) 838-2778.

Troy University VA Certification Request Forms for Dothan Campus, eTROY, Montgomery Campus, Phenix City Campus, and Troy Campus/Montgomery School of Nursing.

After you complete the registration process each Semester or T-Term, follow the Troy VA Certification Request Form link (below) to report your enrollment to the VA Certifying Official for each of the campuses where you are enrolled and desire VA Certification.

Troy Certification Request Form Link
Students at locations outside Alabama (except eTROY) should contact their site.

Troy University Veterans Offices

Students wishing to speak with a VA Counselor should contact the site where they are attending:

Troy Campus, eTROY, or Montgomery School of Nursing - 134 Adams Administration Building, Troy, AL 36082; Phone 1-800-551-9716 x3701 or 334-670-3701 or 334-670-5917, Fax 334-670-5917

Equal Opportunity Statement

Troy University is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities in its programs, activities and employment for students and employees regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Information regarding affirmative action and equal access should be addressed to:

Dr. Jim Bookout Senior
Vice Chancellor Finance and Business Affairs
241 Adams Administration Building
Troy, AL 36082
(334) 670-3108

Apply Now!