TROY Wiregrass Alumni Chapter awards scholarships
Posted: Wednesday, 22 July 2009
DOTHAN—The Troy University Wiregrass Alumni Chapter presented more than $10,000 in scholarships to students at TROY’s Dothan Campus on Wednesday, July 22.
Scholarships were presented to six full-time students and two part-time students. Full-time students will each receive $1,500 and part-time students will receive $750.
Wiregrass Alumni Chapter President Ben Armstrong congratulated the recipients.
“This is the best part of what we do, when we are able to give back and help students attend Troy University,” Armstrong said.
The alumni chapter’s annual golf tournament helps raise money for the scholarships. Recipients are selected by the chapter’s scholarship committee from a pool of applicants.
Dothan Campus Vice Chancellor Dr. Don Jeffrey welcomed the new students to TROY.
“We know this is a first step in a long career for each of you and we are proud to have you at Troy University,” Jeffrey said.
The scholarships recipients were:
- Jennifer Compton, of Dothan, a graduate student enrolled in community counseling.
- Carmen Daniels, a Dothan High School graduate who plans to major in chemistry.
- Abigail Goolsby, a Dothan High School graduate who plans to major in elementary education.
- Rebecca Johnson, a psychology major from Dothan.
- Emily Kirkland, a transfer from Wallace Community College who plans to major in elementary education.
- Perscilla Spann, a business administration/general business major from Eufaula.
- Allison Lindsay, a graduate of Abbeville Christian Academy who plans to major in elementary education.
- Jason Thweatt, of Midland City, a Dale County High School graduate who plans to major in computer science.
The Troy University Wiregrass Alumni Chapter presented more than $10,000 in scholarships to students at TROY’s Dothan Campus on Wednesday, July 22. Among the recipients were, from left to right: Carmen Daniels of Dothan, Abigail Goolsby of Dothan, Allison Lindsay of Abbeville, Emily Kirkland of Dothan and Perscilla Spann of Eufaula. Not pictured are Jennifer Compton of Dothan, Rebecca Johnson of Dothan and Jason Thweatt of Midland City. (TROY Photo/Matt Clower)