Safety & Security
To provide a procedure to maximize the safety and security of Dothan Campus faculty, staff, students, and property in the event of a hazardous waste emergency.
An environment safety plan as presented by Hale and Dorr, Environmental Requirements for Colleges and Universities, October, 1989, is used as a guide. A copy of this publication is available in the Finance and Business Affairs office.
In the event of a spillage of a hazardous chemical radioactive material or natural gas leak, the following procedures should be followed:
- Report immediately to Switchboard, Physical Plant, University Police.
- When reporting, be specific about the nature of the involved material and exact location.
- The key person on site should evacuate the affected area at once and seal it off to prevent further contamination of other areas until the arrival of Campus Security.
- Anyone that may be contaminated by the spill is to avoid contact with others as much as possible, remain in the vicinity and provide names to University Police. Required first aid and cleanup by specialized authorities should be started at once.
- If an emergency exists, activate the building alarm.
- All building evacuations will occur when an alarm sounds. (See Evacuation Procedures).
- ASSIST THE HANDICAPPED IN EXITING THE BUILDING!
- Once outside, move to a clear area at least 500 feet from the affected building (s). Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrants and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and cars.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
- DO NOT RETURN TO AN EVACUATED BUILDING