Frequently Asked Questions

Are my visits confidential?

Yes. There are exceptions, such as when there is a threat to your safety or someone else’s safety. Your counselor will go over the rules of confidentiality with you during your first session.

Does counseling go on my academic record?

No. Your counseling records remain securely stored in our offices. For more information about the Student Counseling Center’s Release of Counseling Records Policy, please click here.

How much does it cost to receive personal counseling services at Troy University?

Counseling services are free to students currently enrolled in at least 1 credit hour on-site at Troy University's Troy campus.

How many sessions can I attend each semester?

The counselors at the SCC provide short-term therapy, therefore the number of sessions a student may attend are limited and left to the discretion of their counselor. It is important that students actively participate in session, work hard outside of session, keep scheduled appointments, and reschedule with proper notice.

Will I be allowed to choose or switch my counselor?

No. Once you have been assigned a counselor at our office, you will meet with that counselor for the duration of your treatment at the Student Counseling Center.  If for some reason you do not want to continue meeting with your assigned counselor but you wish to continue treatment, we can refer you to another mental health agency.

What can I expect during the first session?

Before your initial appointment, we will send you an email with a reminder of your appointment date and time, as well as a link to our paperwork. We ask that you fill that paperwork out and bring it with you to your first appointment.  Your first session with your counselor is considered an intake session, and involves information gathering.  It is important that you are open and honest with your counselor, so they can figure out a treatment approach that will best suite your needs.

Can I be seen right away or do I need to make an appointment to see a counselor?

You will need to make an appointment to meet with a counselor. We typically do not see students the same day they make an appointment, unless they are in crisis. You can call our office at (334) 670-3700.

Does the counseling center prescribe medication?

No. We do, however, assist with referrals for medication when appropriate.

Can I get an excuse for missed classes, assignment or tests?

We DO NOT provide documentation for missed classes, tests or assignments. Decisions regarding requests for any other type of documentation will be left to your counselor and considered only in extreme circumstances. In addition, we require at least 1 week's advance notice for such requests.

Can I get a medical withdrawal?

The counselors are not responsible for authorizing medical withdrawals. Our staff can recommend them when it is clinically appropriate to do so, but the ultimate decision is not up to us. We cannot recommend them for students with whom we have had no or very little contact, especially when it is late in the semester.

What should I do if I have a friend that I am concerned about?

You are always welcome to stop by our offices to pick up some brochures and information about our services. When you speak to your friend, let them know that you are concerned about them and their well-being. Give them our information and encourage them to seek help.

What is the Student Counseling Center’s policy on releasing client records?

It is the policy of the Student Counseling Center that confidential client records may only be released to a licensed or certified mental health professional (e.g. psychologist, psychiatrist, counselor, social worker or psychiatric nurse) with the client's signed permission. Upon written request, we will provide a copy of your treatment summary and/or other pertinent portions of your record to another mental health care provider of your choice. The client record is the property of the Troy University’s Student Counseling Center rather than the client. If a counselor believes that access to the records would be harmful to the student's mental, physical, or emotional health, access may be denied to portions or even the whole file. If the counselor believes that access to files could lead to the harm of others, access may be denied.

When requests for records are received from insurance companies, military personnel, or security clearance personnel (e.g. FBI, CIA), we will only release a file to a licensed mental health professional, with written permission from the client. We will not make recommendations on a client's suitability for service, security clearances or jobs. Such evaluations require different techniques and skills.

With written permission, we will release information that the student attended counseling and the number of sessions attended. It is the counselor’s discretion regarding the release of documentation and at least 1 week’s advance notice is required for documentation requests. Documentation cannot be provided without proper notice. Office staff cannot make such a release.

Does the Student Counseling Center provide documentation for emotional support/comfort animals?

No, the Student Counseling Center does not provide support letters for emotional support/comfort animals.

Apply Now!