About the Graduate Degree in Social Science
Take your career to new heights and pursue grander professional opportunities by earning your master’s degree in social science from Troy University. Whether you are interested in pursuing a career as a political scientist, anthropologist/archaeologist, historian, professor, economist, sociologist, geographer, psychologist, etc., TROY can prepare you for success.
Learn from the best
Within TROY’s social science master’s program, you will be prepared to understand and contribute to society in new, meaningful ways. Our experienced, seasoned faculty will encourage you to apply critical and creative thinking, technology and an interdisciplinary perspective to solving practical problems.
Troy University’s social science master’s degree will allow you to dive deeper into the areas of the social sciences in which you are the most interested. As a student of social science, you will learn to analyze societal issues, identify improvements and recommend solutions using statistics and data analysis. You’ll learn to communicate effectively and to evaluate individual and community needs. As you further analyze complex social problems, you will work toward realistic solutions using awareness, acceptance and appreciation of diversity, social factors and global multicultural perspectives.
Pursue your interests
In this 36-hour program, you will be allowed to choose elective classes from the following disciplines and more as you pursue your master’s degree:
- Anthropology - The study of the origins and social relationships of human beings
- Geography - The study of land, people and economics
- Sociology - The study of human lives, societal changes and social causes and consequences of human behavior
- History - The general study and interpretation of the past and comparison/ contrast to the present
- Political Science - The systematic study of political institutions and behavior
- Psychology - The study of the human mind and its functions
- Criminology - The study of crime and criminal behavior
Gain experience and expertise
Studying the social sciences uniquely prepares you for life in the 21st century. Understand the latest research methods to address today’s social problems in this increasingly multicultural and digitized era. TROY offers professional training in analytical software such SPSS and GIS and also provides multiple hands-on research opportunities such as archaeological digs, focus group research in the community, applied sociological research projects, GIS mapping projects and other community-based experiential projects.