Master of Science in Environmental and Biological Science
The Master of Science Graduate Program in Environmental and Biological Sciences is designed to broaden the student's perspective and provide skills and knowledge for understanding and solving problems in the environmental and biological sciences. The Program teaches students the direct and indirect economic, social, and political contributions of the environmental and biological sciences. The Program underscores the interdisciplinary and cooperative nature of environmental and biological issues. The Program teaches how to manage conflicts and emphasizes the importance of effectively communicating with the private and public sectors, regulatory agencies, interest groups, and communities. The Program objectives are listed below:
- To demonstrate the pivotal role of the environmental and biological sciences in understanding and addressing environmental, ecological, medical, agricultural, and policy-related issues;
- To promote the professional development of students for entry and advancement in the private and public sectors as scientists, educators, administrators, or managers;
- To provide students with the necessary skills for performing research, reviewing and evaluating regulatory guidelines, and writing professional documents;
- To foster an understanding and appreciation of the role of values and ethics in research, management, and institutional performance;
- To strengthen the academic foundations of students seeking entry into professional schools and into doctoral programs at graduate schools; and
- To provide teachers with opportunities for advancement and to broaden and update their knowledge in order to enrich the classroom experience of their students.
In today’s world, environmental policy is becoming a hot topic and important area of debate among government officials, scholars and environmentalists. Put your desire to help preserve our planet into action by pursing your master’s in environmental and biological sciences with a concentration in environmental policy from Troy University.
Within TROY’s Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, you can prepare for a meaningful career in a field in which you’re passionate by broadening your perspective and analytical abilities and also gaining skills and a deeper knowledge and understanding of the environment. Throughout your courses, you’ll dive deep into the study of environmental and biological ethics and public health and choose electives focused on environmental management, global pollution and international environmental policy, environmental law, managing government contacts and public policy just to name a few.
Upon graduation, you’ll have a deeper understanding of ecology, the ins and outs of climate change and its contributing factors, the policies and laws pertaining to environmental changes, government regulations concerning waste emission and other areas of focus that will help you as you enter a career related to helping deal with or create regulations, laws and permitting.
As a professional with a degree in environmental policy, you’ll find career opportunities within the private sector, higher education, government, government agencies, nonprofit organizations and in the area of law.
Interested in Applying to TROY?