Troy University’s social science major will prepare you to understand and contribute
to society in a meaningful way by applying critical and creative thinking, technology
and an interdisciplinary perspective to solving practical problems.
As a student of social science, you will learn to analyze societal issues, identify improvements, and recommend solutions using statistics and data analysis. You’ll learn to communicate effectively and to evaluate individual and community needs. As you develop the ability to analyze complex social problems, you will become able to work toward realistic solutions using awareness, acceptance and appreciation of diversity, social factors and global multicultural perspectives.
As a social science student, you may choose classes from the following disciplines, and more, in your studies:
- Anthropology - The study of the origins and social relationships of human beings
- Geography - The study of land, people and economics)
- Sociology - The study of human lives, societal changes and social causes and consequences of human behavior
- Psychology - The study of the human mind and its functions
- History - The general study and interpretation of the past and comparison/contrast to the present.
- Economics - The systematic study of the production, conservation and allocation of resources in conditions of scarcity, together with the organizational frameworks related to these processes.
- Political Science - The systematic study of political institutions and behavior.
The Social Science Major
Troy University’s social science major offers the following concentrations:
- General social science - an excellent choice if you want a broad overview without limitations in one subject area, or if you are going to seek a second major in education
- Geography - an excellent choice for understanding global and regional political issues
- Leadership - an excellent choice to prepare you to be a model for and to guide others in any profession
Social Science Education
Students who want to seek Alabama teacher certification should select the social science major with the general social science concentration and also select education as a second major.
Interested in Applying to TROY?