Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science
If a career in physical therapy, occupational therapy, clinical exercise testing and prescription, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, health-fitness/wellness, strength and conditioning or nutrition is in your future, a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science is a perfect fit. This competitive program includes concentrations in pre-health professions, health and wellness and nutrition, and incorporates coursework from five academic departments spread across two colleges.
With an emphasis on preparation for entry into graduate health profession schools in the fields of physical therapy, occupational therapy and physician assistant, you will be prepared to successfully enter into graduate health profession schools nationwide. Upon completion of the program, you will also be prepared to sit for certification examinations offered through the American College of Sports Medicine, National Strength and Conditioning Association and other organizations in the related fields of health and fitness, clinical exercise testing and strength and conditioning. Within this program, you’ll develop sound judgment, a sense of mission and ethics, problem-solving skills, the flexibility and adaptability to tackle a variety of issues and challenges, management abilities, an understanding of politics and government and a motivation to serve.
Why choose TROY?
The mission of the exercise science program at Troy University is to prepare leaders in exercise science who are highly qualified professionals dedicated to the improvement of health and wellness across the lifespan in the community, state and nation. The program has a comprehensive curriculum that includes hands-on laboratory courses, on-site cardiac rehabilitation experience and a capstone internship opportunity. Faculty members provide student-centered learning and are dedicated to the success of the students. The availability of the faculty, having access to laboratory facilities, research opportunities and practical field experiences are aspects of the program meeting the needs of the student.
Students in this program will:
- Demonstrate a sound foundational knowledge and understanding of the principles of biology, chemistry and nutrition and an advanced understanding of human anatomy and physiology.
- Demonstrate basic laboratory skills pertaining to assessments, laboratory methods, sound experimental and analytical practices, data acquisition and reporting in the exercise sciences with emphasis on physiology and biomechanics.
- Participate in the research process including literature reviews, data collection and data analysis related to the importance and influence of physical activity, nutrition and exercise on health.
- Understand and apply the principles of exercise testing and prescription to diverse populations at various developmental stages and under a range of health conditions.
- Demonstrate requisite skills and abilities for meaningful employment in exercise science-related areas or pursue graduate studies in an exercise science-related area.
Interested in Applying to TROY?