Here are some of the instruments within the chemistry department.
- Spec 20 spectrometers
- pH meters
- PerkinElmer and Buick Scientific atomic absorption/emission spectrometers
- PerkinElmer "Spectrum One" Fourier-transform infrared spectrometer
- Shimadzu gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer
- Spectral Instruments ultraviolet-visible spectrometer
- Bio-Rad high pressure liquid chromatograph
- SRI variable temperature gas chromatographs
- BAS electrochemistry system
- Turner filter fluorometer
- Abbe 3L refractometer
- Johnson Matthey magnetic susceptibility balance
Shiyue Yan using HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography) to examine the amount of vanillin in vanilla extract.
Elizabeth Clemons determining sodium in tap water using AA (atomic absorption spectroscopy).
Charlotte Tay analyzing lead in soil samples by AA.
Using a Schlenk line to make an air-sensitive compound in the advanced inorganic lab. (Our magnetic susceptibility balance is on the desk in the background.)
Sonia Lyle inserting samples into the autosampler of the GC/MS (gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer).