Troy University now offers a rewarding two-year, full-time accredited graduate professional program in athletic training leading to the degree of Master of Science in Athletic Training (MSAT)*. The program’s classroom component is divided into three sections: athletic training theory and practice, exercise physiology and role it plays within the practice of athletic training, and clinical experiences. The courses are designed to expose students to information through multiple didactic, laboratory, and clinical experiences. These courses incorporate the Curricular Content Standards set forth by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE).
Courses are taught in a prescribed sequence (as described in the Troy University Graduate Catalog) over six semesters and include 19 credit hours of clinical education experiences under the direct supervision of a certified and licensed athletic trainer or physician. By combining excellence in teaching, the latest technologies available in education, and outstanding clinical site affiliations, the program fully prepares graduates to take and pass the comprehensive Board of Certification (BOC) exam and start their careers as qualified healthcare providers.
In order to achieve the program goals, the MSAT program will prepare graduates to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in all competencies of athletic training through passing the national BOC examination;
- To qualify for entry-level positions in athletic training, as well as advanced study in athletic training or other healthcare professions;
- Thrive in a problem-based environment where critical thinking skills and evidence-based decision making are the hallmarks of quality patient care;
- Be ethical leaders and advocates for the profession of athletic training;
- Be effectively understand, produce, and apply quality research within their practice of athletic training;
- Function within an interprofessional team.
Applications to the Troy University Graduate School is the first step to the MSAT application and can be found HERE. All application material should be submitted no later than March 1st.
Please contact Dr. Danielle Platt, Program Director of the Troy University Athletic Training Program, with any questions at 334-670-3468 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Troy University’s Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training program is being discontinued and is no longer accepting applications.