For decades, Troy University has proudly offered classes in a variety of formats designed
to meet the needs of students. Now, we are excited to debut a new approach to course
design that combines the best features of these experiences—Flex Classes.
What are Flex Classes?
Flex classes are a hybrid of the online and in-class experience. Classes offered in the Flex format will hold regular in-class sessions (for now only at the Dothan, Montgomery and Phenix City campuses), and each class session will also be streamed live online at the same time. In addition, recordings of each class session, along with a new approach to course design, will be available for on-demand viewing later.
Students enrolled in Flex classes can freely switch between formats based on their needs at any time during the term. You can attend in person if you prefer the face-to-face experience, watch online from a location convenient to you, or catch up on classes you missed by watching them later. Coursework can be completed online.
Why should you consider Flex Classes?
One word—flexibility. Flex classes allow students to take classes in the format and schedule that makes sense for them. For example, you can:
- Attend classes in person as your schedule permits. If you prefer in-person learning, or just want to meet your professor and classmates face-to-face, you can attend class on location.
- Switch to online classes anytime you need to. If you can’t attend in person but still want to participate in classes as they happen, you can watch the live class session online from wherever you are and interact with your professor in real-time.
- Catch up on recorded class sessions at any time. Life happens. Whether you are traveling or had a change in your work schedule, if you are unable to attend class or watch them live for any reason, you can easily catch up on recorded classes sessions at a time convenient to you.
How do I enroll in Flex Classes?
During registration, select one of the following classes if they are appropriate for your degree program:
- CS-3330-XTIA, Data Structure and Algorithms, Montgomery Campus
- CS-4420-XTIA, Introduction to Database Systems, Montgomery Campus
- ECO-2252-XTIA, Principles of Microeconomics, Dothan Campus
- FIN-3331-XTIC, Managerial Finance, Dothan Campus
- HIS-1112-XTIC, U.S. Since 1877, Dothan Campus
- IR-6686-XTIA, Latin American Security, Phenix City Campus
- IS-3310-XTIB, Intro Info Sys & Data Analytic, Montgomery Campus
- QM-3345-XTIB, Operations Management, Dothan Campus
- SWK-7707-XTIC, Adv SW Practice with Groups, Dothan Campus
- SWK-7707-XTIB, Adv SW Practice with Groups, Montgomery Campus
- SWK-7707-XTIA, Adv. SW Practice with Groups, Phenix City Campus
- SWK-7769-XTIA, Adv. Direct Pract. Senior Seminar, Dothan Campus
- SWK-7769-MTHA, Adv. Direct Pract. Senior Seminar, Montgomery Campus
- PSY-4460-MTHA, Cognitive Psychology, Montgomery Campus
- EDU-3308-DTHA, Integrated STEM Education, Dothan Campus
Will there be additional Flex Classes in the future?
Yes! Moving forward, additional classes will be offered in the Flex format. Monitor your TROY email and this page for updates on Flex Classes.
Recorded sessions will be available for viewing through the end of the term.
Professors will respond to messages received on nights and weekends within 24-48 hours, during normal business hours.
You’ll need a computer, tablet or other device to access the online course platform and reliable high-speed internet in order to view HD streaming video.
Recorded classes can be watched or re-watched as many times as needed until the end of the term. However, trying to catch-up on more than a week’s worth of missed classes is not recommended. Although recorded classes can be watched on-demand, your class assignments (including tests and papers) will have due dates set by your professor. Although Flex Classes are designed to be flexible, you should still plan to be actively engaged in class and complete your coursework on time without falling behind.