Counseling FAQ | Troy University

Counseling FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. There are exceptions, such as when there is a threat to your safety or someone else’s safety. Your counselor will go over the rules of confidentiality with you during your first session.

No. Your counseling records remain securely stored in our offices. For more information about the Student Counseling Center’s Release of Counseling Records Policy, please click here.

Counseling services are free to students currently enrolled in at least 1 credit hour on-site at Troy University's Troy campus.

The counselors at the SCC provide short-term therapy, therefore the number of sessions a student may attend are limited and left to the discretion of their counselor. It is important that students actively participate in session, work hard outside of session, keep scheduled appointments, and reschedule with proper notice.

No. Once you have been assigned a counselor at our office, you will meet with that counselor for the duration of your treatment at the Student Counseling Center.  If for some reason you do not want to continue meeting with your assigned counselor but you wish to continue treatment, we can refer you to another mental health agency.

Before your initial appointment, we will send you an email with a reminder of your appointment date and time, as well as a link to our paperwork. We ask that you fill that paperwork out and submit it prior to your appointment. Your first session with your counselor is considered an intake session, and involves information gathering. It is important that you are open and honest with your counselor, so they can figure out a treatment approach that will best suit your needs.

You will need to make an appointment to meet with a counselor. We typically do not see students the same day they make an appointment, unless they are in crisis. You can call our office at (334) 670-3700.

No. We do, however, assist with referrals for medication when appropriate.

We DO NOT provide documentation for missed classes, tests or assignments. Decisions regarding requests for any other type of documentation will be left to your counselor and considered only in extreme circumstances. In addition, we require at least 1 week's advance notice for such requests.

The counselors are not responsible for authorizing medical withdrawals. Our staff can recommend them when it is clinically appropriate to do so, but the ultimate decision is not up to us. We cannot recommend them for students with whom we have had no or very little contact, especially when it is late in the semester.

Be honest, and let your friend know that you are concerned about them and their well-being. Give them our information and encourage them to contact us. Frame any decision to seek and accept help as a sign of strength.

No, the Student Counseling Center does not provide support letters for emotional support/comfort animals.



Cookie Acknowledgment
This website uses cookies to collect information and to improve your browsing experience. Please review our privacy statement for more information.