Insurance | Troy University



Insurability Statement

Drivers must be a minimum of 18 years of age or older, must possess a current valid driver’s license, consent to a motor vehicle record check (MVR) and meet the university’s established insurance criteria to be added to the list of approved drivers. Applicants must be approved before they can be hired if driving is one of the primary duties of the position. Current employees must be approved before they may operate a University Vehicle.

MVR - Driving Record Check

University guidelines require that all drivers of a university owned, leased or rented vehicle complete this form for the purposes of determining driver insurability before being permitted to drive. University vehicles include all fleet vehicles owned or leased by the University, as well as any vehicles purchased, leased, or rented by the University and assigned to individual employees or departments for their use.

How to obtain insurance coverage for a newly acquired vehicle:

Insurance information pertaining to Troy University vehicles is maintained by Risk Management, Safety, and Insurance (RMSI). The Troy University department purchasing a vehicle should contact RMSI within 3-5 days of acquisition to arrange for insurance coverage. Information the department should furnish to RMSI includes:

  • Make & Model
  • Year Manufactured
  • VIN
  • Copy of the Bill of Sale

Upon receipt of the insurance card, RMSI will provide the department with a copy/original to be placed inside of the vehicle.

Accident Reporting

  1. Stop immediately and contact the appropriate law enforcement agency. 
  2. Call 911 if anyone is injured or requires immediate medical attention.
  3. Take necessary precautions to protect the accident scene. Vehicles should not be moved until after the police arrive unless they present a safety hazard.
  4. Do not leave the accident scene until an accident report has been completed by the law enforcement official.
  5. Do not discuss the details of the accident with others at the scene.
  6. Do not admit liability or fault, make offers, or agree to settlement on behalf of Troy University. It is important that such admissions and decisions be reserved for the insurance carriers.
  7. Do not sign any document other than those required by the law enforcement official.
  8. Obtain name, address, and phone number of the other driver and their insurance information and the contact information for any witnesses.
  9. Remove keys and University property and lock the vehicle if the vehicle must be towed from the scene.
  10. Ask the investigating law enforcement officer to provide the accident report number and how/where a copy of the report can be obtained.
  11. Notify Troy University RMSI to report the accident within 24 hours. RMSI will ask you to complete an Auto Claims Questions Form and return to them to expedite claims reporting.

Auto Claims

Auto Claims Questions Form

Windshield Auto Claims whether repairable or needing to be replaced should be reported to Lynx Services at 1-800-264-4143. Information the department will be asked to furnish is:

  1. The policy number (on the insurance card.)
  2. The date or approximate date of loss.
  3. The VIN of the vehicle (on the insurance card.)
  4. Description of the damage.
  5. The exact location of the vehicle.

Lynx Services will schedule a time for the vehicle to be attended.

If the vehicle is a rented automobile:

  1. Complete and return to RMSI a Windshield Auto Claims Questions Form.
  2. Provide RMSI with a copy of the rental agreement.
  3. Provide RMSI with any supporting paperwork. If the rental company makes the repair then provide RMSI with a copy of the bill for repair.

NOTE: The department filing a claim will be responsible for any deductibles associated with loss.

General Liability Certificates of Insurance (COI)

The purpose of a certificate of insurance is to provide proof of coverage under Troy University’s insurance for University related business, proceedings and/or events. Please note that as an entity of the state of Alabama, the university cannot list others as an additional insured on its policies or agree to indemnify them.

How to Obtain a COI for Proof of Coverage

A request for a COI may be made by emailing the request to RMSI to or or by faxing to 334-670-5666. The requestor will need to provide the following information:

  • The Certificate holder name and address.
  • A description of operations or event for which the COI is desired.
  • Dates of an event if applicable.
  • Limits of liability needed.

Once the COI is issued, it will be emailed/faxed/mailed to the requestor and/or the certificate holder.

Insurance Recommendations for Projects/Contracts

Recommend use of contracts for all projects above $1000

Contracts should include:

  • Indemnification statements
  • Primary and Non-contributing statements
  • Workers Compensation provisions

Certificates of Insurance

  • Minimum $1 million per occurrence; $2 million aggregate limits
  • Coverage amounts may vary by project size
  • Umbrella Policy coverage may be recommended for larger construction projects
  • Additional Insured Status

Accidental loss or damage can occur to both real and personal property. Real property (property which cannot be moved) includes state-owned buildings, parks, swimming pools, boilers and heavy machinery. Personal property includes motorized equipment (not licensed for road use), supplies and movable capital items such as desks, chairs, typewriters and tools. Property damage may result from a number of perils, such as freezing temperatures, water damage, lightning, and fire. 

RMSI should be contacted regarding:

  • Contracts which might have insurance or liability ramifications, including construction contracts, maintenance contracts, building leases, service contracts, equipment and auto leases.
  • Any significant addition to or reduction in, values of property. 
  • Any new project which either involves fire loss potential or public liability potential.
  • State property leased to another party. 
  • When properties are purchased.

Guidelines for Adding Buildings/Coverage

Complete Property Insurance Request and send to:
Tonya Senn
107 Wright Hall
Troy Campus
Fax: 334-670-5666

Guidelines for Reporting a Claim

  • The Property losses should be reported to RMSI immediately. 
    Complete the Property Loss Notice and send to:

    Tonya Senn
    107 Wright Hall
    Troy Campus
    Fax: 334-670-5666

  • Must provide details of loss/damage, including date, time and cause of loss, estimated dollar amount of loss and estimates for repair if available
  • RMSI will file a claim with the Division of Risk Management

Unemployment Claims

If you are separated from employment, you may choose to file an unemployment claim.

  • How to File: If you worked in Alabama, claims for unemployment benefits are filed through the State of Alabama Department of Labor. Claims can be filed via phone by calling 1-866-234-5382 or via internet by going to
  • Many states require claims to be filed independently instead of through Alabama. If you work or reside outside of Alabama, please contact Human Resources for filing information.

Questions or comments: Contact Human Resources

Report all on the job injuries to your supervisor immediately.



Cookie Acknowledgment
This website uses cookies to collect information and to improve your browsing experience. Please review our privacy statement for more information.