We have been thrilled to see the overwhelming response to Civic Heroes virtual summer camp. We have increased the capacity of our sessions to allow for more participants. At this time our sessions are full. You may complete the camp application to be added to our waiting list and we will let you know if a spot becomes available.
Due to the challenges associated with COVID-19, the Office of Civic Engagement at Troy University is hosting their CIVIC HEROES citizen camp online this year. While we'll miss being with our campers in-person, we're excited to welcome new friends who may be able to join us from a further distance. We invite you to spend part of your summer with us as we embark on an epic journey to discover true citizenship! The deadline to register is June 12th, but open until June 16th if you are local to Troy, AL.
What's this virtual summer camp all about?
Civic Heroes is designed for upper elementary students who have a knack for serving their neighbors, learning how to tackle community challenges or are just looking for something fun to do this summer!
- Students entering grades 4th - 6th sign up here to participate. (Registration must be completed by parent/guardian.)
- Campers will meet online twice weekly June 22nd - July 9th to share and learn with staff from the Office of Civic Engagement.
- In between sessions, campers will be assigned challenges and activities aka "missions" to complete on their own time.
- Each participant will receive their very own HERO pack containing all materials for activities.
- This virtual summer experience is made FREE for campers because of our partnership with the David Mathews Center for Civic Life.
- The deadline to register is June 12th if you need your HERO pack mailed, and June 16th if you are local to Troy, AL and would like to pick it up.
What is needed to participate?
- Computer or tablet - You will need a device capable of video web-conferencing. A smart phone may also be used, but could result in a more limited experience.
- Internet connection - You will need to ensure you have reliable internet to participate in camp sessions.
- Parent / guardian permission & email - A parent or legal guardian must complete camper's registration and provide an email address to be used for communication during the camp.
- HERO pack - Each camper will receive a HERO pack containing all the materials needed to participate in camp activities. Campers local to Troy, AL may opt to pick up their HERO pack, or we can mail it to your residence.
6.10.2020 CAMP UPDATE: