Admission Information | Troy University

Admission Information

The Graduate School provides students with opportunities for advancement of knowledge in multiple areas of study. We aim to create an environment that fosters both individual and collaborative learning, engages intellectual challenge and original thinking and requires practical application of knowledge to develop students in their selected areas of work and research. 

The Graduate School has three categories of admission-unconditional, conditional and temporary. All programs have requirements in addition to the minimum Graduate School standards. Potential students should read the section on admissions in the Graduate Catalog as well as the admission section under their chosen program. 

For your convenience, we have provided information below regarding items needed to complete your application, cost and fees, financial aid and entrance exam test dates. Please scroll down and select any of the designated topics for more information. 

Application for Admission
To apply for admission to the Graduate School, click here to complete the Application for Admission and pay the non-refundable application fee.

Troy University Letter of Recommendation
The recommender should address the individual's potential for success in the selected graduate program and his/her written and oral communication skills. Letters submitted to meet specific program requirements may be used for admission to the Graduate School to satisfy this admission requirement. Letters can be uploaded to your supplemental items on your TROY Application Profile.

Final official transcripts
You will need final official transcripts from all schools attended. Degree granting university must bear degree and date awarded. For information on TROY transcripts please contact Office of Academic Records at 1-800-414-5756.

Test scores
You will need test score results for the GRE (verbal and quantitative scores), MAT or GMAT. Contact the Troy University Admission Office nearest you for appropriate test information and score requirements. Testing information may be obtained from the Graduate School Test option on the graduate school home page. International students should refer to International admissions requirements in the current graduate catalog.

Medical History Form (For Troy Campus students ONLY)
Medical History Form with medical documentation is required for all Troy Campus and students attending the School of Nursing. For further information please contact the Mary E. Rich Health Center, Troy University, Troy, Alabama, 36082 at 1-334-670-3452.

College of Education students
College of Education students must submit a copy of all teaching certificates and an evaluation of teaching experience.

University parking
University parking is available for commuter and resident students. You should contact University Police or parking services office on your campus to receive information about campus parking procedures and to purchase a student parking sticker.

University housing (Troy Campus students only)
University housing is available on the Troy Campus. In order to apply for campus housing please contact the Troy University Housing and Residence Life Office at 1-334-670-3346.

Financial assistance
Financial assistance is available for TROY graduate students. For information please contact the Troy University Financial Aid Office at 1-800-414-5756.

Registration dates, class times and schedule of classes
This information may be found on the Web site of the TROY location you plan to attend.

Transient students
Transient students must submit transient approval forms from the institution currently attending and must receive medical clearance.

Graduate transfer students
Graduate transfer students should consult graduate bulletin for transfer hour limitations for your degree area. A Petition for Credit Form must be completed in order to apply credit. These forms are available from your nearest Troy University site.

Readmission forms are available at the nearest Troy University site. You must be readmitted if you have been out of school for at least one full term excluding summer terms. You must be a student in good standing and remain enrolled in your previous masters degree program in order to be eligible for readmission. If other schools were attended during this time period, contact the admissions office to determine appropriate admission procedures.

Professional Military Education Credit (PME)
Troy University awards transfer credit for specific Professional Military Education (PME) courses completed at select military service schools for which credit is recommended by the American Council on Education and approved by each appropriate college’s dean. The number of hours granted for each program is limited to a maximum of 12 semester hours. No credit may be granted for work that will be over eight years old at the time of graduation from the Troy University program for which transfer credit was requested. No waivers will be permitted.

Each Troy University site has its own schedule of tuition and fees for students and procedures for payment and refunds. For information about tuition and fees at the TROY site you wish to attend visit that site.

Alabama Campuses

TROY Online

TROY Support Centers

Housing (For Troy Campus Students ONLY)
Housing accommodations are available on campus for students in residence halls at Troy University. Inquiries and applications should be submitted to the Director of University Housing.

University Apartments, located at the end of North Franklin Drive, consist of 48 air-conditioned one and two-bedroom units operated by the University for married students.

Since the demand for these units is considerable, interested couples should contact the Office of University Housing and Residence Life well in advance for reservation.

The Office of University Housing and Residence Life endeavors to assist persons seeking apartments, rooms or other off-campus housing in finding suitable accommodations. Students desiring assistance in securing off-campus accommodations should contact the Housing Office.

Graduate students at Troy University may receive limited financial aid. Students may apply for an  Unsubsidized Loan (maximum $20,500) and/or a Grad Plus loan up to the total cost of attendance for an academic year. 

Students enrolled for a minimum of two full time graduate level courses are considered full time, subject to an 8 semester hour minimum. Students must enroll for a minimum of one full time graduate level course to be considered half-time students, subject to a four semester hour minimum.

Graduate students transferring from another institution must submit a Financial Aid Transcript from all institutions previously attended.

All forms required to apply for graduate student financial aid are available on the Financial Aid Office Web site, or may be available from your local financial aid representative.

Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships (For students attending Alabama campuses ONLY)
Students may search and apply for all Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships through the Troy University Career Site

Assistance for Veterans
For information about financial aid available to veterans, call 1-334-670-3701.

Minority Doctoral Scholars Program - Southern Regional Education Board
The Southern Regional Education Board's State Doctoral Scholars Program was developed with support from The Pew Charitable Trusts and The Ford Foundation. It is part of a nationwide initiative, the Compact for Faculty Diversity, to produce more minority Ph.D.s and to encourage them to seek faculty positions.


Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
For more information on testing locations, costs, and deadlines for registrations and score reporting procedures, visit GRE or call 1-800-537-3160 (outside the U.S. and Canada telephone 1-609-771-7243) or contact the Sylvan Learning Center 1-334-262-0043 (Montgomery Location) or 1-334 677-6334 (Dothan Location) for an appointment.

Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
For more information on testing locations, costs, and deadlines for registrations and score reporting procedures, visit the GMAT Website or call Sylvan Learning Center at 1-334-262-0043 (Montgomery location) or 1-334-677-6334 or 1-334-262-0043 (Montgomery location) or 1-334-677-6334 (Dothan location) for an appointment.

Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
Applying to a Controlled Testing Center to take the MAT at one of the more than 600 Controlled Testing Centers (CTCs) in the United States , Canada  or overseas, apply directly to the Controlled Testing Center of your choice. The locations and phone numbers of the current Troy University Controlled Testing Centers are listed below.

Once you determine where you wish to take the MAT, contact that CTC for instructions concerning how to apply to take the MAT and about its fee requirement. If you are unable to reach a CTC at the number listed, click on the campus site link above or go to There are no nationally scheduled test administrations for the MAT. Each CTC determines its own test schedule and test fees. When you contact a CTC, you will be told if there are any special procedures that you must follow. If you are making arrangements to retake the MAT, inform your CTC that you have taken the test before.

For more information, contact one of the following TROY University MAT Controlled Testing Center locations:

Dothan, 334-983-6556 ext. 223
Montgomery, 334-241-9530 
Phenix City Campus, 334-448-5232
Troy Campus, 334-808-6447 (View Troy Campus test dates)

Ft. Walton Beach, 850-301-2100

Augusta, 706-210-2812
Brunswick, 912-262-2500

Hampton Roads, 757-512-2000

United States Armed Forces
APO-Pacific Region,

(098) 959-3940
(098) 938-1111 ext. 634-2041