Doctoral Admission Information
Requirements & Steps to Apply
Students will be admitted only under unconditional admission status. Admission to the program will have limited availability. To be considered for unconditional admission to the DNP program the applicant must:
- Hold the required degree from a nationally-accredited program (ACEN or CCNE).
Applicants are admitted as:
• Post BSN candidates
• Post MSN candidates
- Have earned a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) on all nursing coursework if post-baccalaureate applicant or on all graduate coursework if post-masters applicant
- Submit official transcripts for all post-secondary academic study
- Earn a minimum GRE score of 294 ( Note: This requirement is waived for post-MSN applicants)
- Possess a current unencumbered license as a registered nurse in Alabama or in the state where clinical practice will occur
- Submit two letters of professional reference that address academic ability , professional competence and leadership potential in nursing
- Complete a successful interview by the Nursing Graduate Admissions Committee
- Submit a 800 to 1000 word essay describing professional goals and how completion of the DNP program will enhance future roles and practice
- Submit a resume that includes education, work experience in nursing, research experiences, publications, presentations, community service, professional memberships and service.
- Possess a valid certification in advanced practice nursing from a nationally recognized credentialing body or be eligible to take a nationally recognized certification exam ( Note: This requirement applies only to post-MSN applicants.)
- Submit documentation of academic clinical hours.
"Troy University has been approved by the Alabama Commission on Higher Education to offer a new doctoral degree, the Ph.D. in Global Leadership. TROY has also received approval from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
The degree can be completed online, offering a way for working professionals to earn a Ph.D.
Applications may be submitted January 2 - February 15, 2020.
The applicant must submit an application to the Troy University Graduate School. Application to this program will be availaible on January 2, 2020.
To be considered for admission to the Global Leadership Ph.D. Program, the applicant must
- Have attained a Master’s degree from a regionally credited institution of higher education.
- Have earned a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) on all graduate coursework.
- Submit official transcripts for all post-secondary academic study, one official transcript per institution.
- Three (3) Letters of Reference
The letters of reference must address the applicant’s readiness to enroll in a doctoral program. It is recommended that such individuals be previous undergraduate or graduate professors, advisors or others who can substantiate the applicant’s academic preparation for admittance to a doctoral program.
- Statement of Intent (Maximum of 1000 words.) The statement of intent should:
- Include details of your rationale for pursuing a Ph.D. in Global Leadership.
- Include details regarding your past career and research interests.
- Include details about your projected dissertation focus area (Global Leadership Specializations: Organizational Leadership, Strategic Communication, Public Administration, Instructional Leadership and Administration, ** Higher Education) and how participation in the Global Leadership Program will align with your projected dissertation focus area and future career interests.
- Include details about an area of interest (Global Leadership Specializations: Organizational Leadership, Strategic Communication, Public Administration, Instructional Leadership and Administration, ** Higher Education) for your international internship.
- Include an area of the world where you would like to go in order to conduct your international internship in conjunction with your projected area of research interest. If possible, specify the country where you would like to conduct your international internship as it relates to your area of research interest. Note: An international internship is a required element of the Global Leadership Ph.D. program, requires travel to a country outside of the United States and must be completed before being eligible for graduation. Students are responsible for all travel expenses. Scholarships may be available. ** Does not lead to Class A or Class AA Educational Leadership certification in Alabama.
- Writing Sample maximum of 1000 words:
The goal of the writing sample is to measure the applicant’s ability to write clearly and succinctly in an academic fashion. The writing sample will assist the Doctoral Admission Committee in evaluating the applicant’s research, writing, analytical and problem-solving skills. The writing sample may include a thesis completed by the student or significant research paper, preferably written at the graduate level, and solely by the applicant.
The writing sample topic is Leadership in the 21st Century. The writing sample should be double-spaced, 12 point, Times New Roman font with one (1) inch margins on all sides. The paper must be double-spaced, 12 point, Times New Roman font with I inch margins on all sides. It is recommended that the writing sample follow the American Psychological Association (APA) style. However, other writing styles, including but not limited to Chico, Modern Language Association (MLA), AMA Manual or other accepted research writing styles will be considered.
The Doctoral Admissions Committee will evaluate the writing sample based on the following criteria: 1) Writing Development and Critical Thinking – ability to articular the primary concept and inform the reader of its focus; 2) Organization and Structure – development of the topic to include fluid transitions; 3) Paragraph Development – use of transitions and language within each paragraph; 4) Mechanics – appropriate spelling, grammar, and punctuation; and 5) Use of Writing Style – Although all classes and dissertation will employ the APA format, the Committee will review the sample for appropriate use of other acceptable academic research writing style such as cited in the previous paragraph.
NOTE: The writing sample could also include accepted or published research that the applicant has been sole or co-author of a research project. The applicant must submit a pdf of the paper or link to URL link as proof of publication.
- Resume’ or Curriculum Vitae
- An interview may be requested.
Reminder: Applications may be submitted January 2 - February 15, 2020. In the meantime, please submit an inquiry form below.
Students will be admitted only under unconditional admission status. To be considered for unconditional admission to the Ph.D. in Sport Management program the applicant must:
- Submit an application to the Troy University Graduate School
- Hold a master's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Earn a minimum score on one of the following exams:
• 399 - MAT
• 540 - GMAT
• 157-158 - LSAT
• 304 on the GRE (1000 or higher on the Non-Revised GRE)
- Submit an official transcript from each institution of higher education attended
- Submit three letters of reference
- Submit a statement of intent. The statement of intent should include details of your rationale for pursuing the program and details regarding your career and research interest
- Submit a writing sample. The writing sample could also include accepted or published research that the applicant has been sole or co-author of a research project.
- Submit a resume or curriculum vitae
Students must begin the program in Term 1 (August) or Term 3 (January).
Transcript & Test Score Submissions
Once an application has been submitted, please request all transcripts and test scores to be sent electronically to email@example.com or by mail to the address below
100 University Park
Troy, AL 36082