North Central Alabama Traveling Exhibit | Troy University

North Central Alabama Streets

Historical Streets of North Central Alabama as displayed through the Traveling Exhibits

Postcards showcased on the Traveling Exhibits


Anniston - Noble Street

Anniston, incorporated in 1883, is the county seat of Calhoun County. In 1872, the proprietors of the Woodstock Iron Company sought to create “The Model City” so they meticulously planned and constructed their ideal company town here. They also hand selected residents, paid them above-average wages, housed them in tidy four-room cottages, and banned alcohol. The town was originally known as Woodstock, but since that name was taken, it was changed to Anniston in 1873 in honor of Daniel Tyler's daughter-in-law, Annie. In 1883, the founders opened the town to the public. This postcard shows Noble Street, Anniston in the early 1900s.

Color print of Noble Street in Anniston, Alabama showing one, two, and three-story commercial buildings and streetcar rails.

Postcard Back - Anniston: Noble Street

 


Birmingham - 20th Street

Birmingham is the county seat of Jefferson County. It was founded in 1871 by investors of the Elyton Land Company who envisioned a New South iron industry near abundant deposits of iron-ore, coal, and limestone. They bought land in Jones Valley, speculating that they could build a boom town. Railroad surveyor John Milner, tasked with deciding where two railways would intersect, ran the tracks along the southern boundary of the company’s holdings. The city was named for Birmingham, England, the center of that country's iron industry. Between 1902 and 1912 downtown Birmingham developed from a low-rise commercial and residential district into a busy grid of high-rise buildings and busy streetcar lines. This postcard depicts the beginning of that transformation.

Black and white print of 20th Street in Birmingham, Alabama showing multi-story buildings and streetcar rails. Postmarked Birmingham December 14, 1905 and Raleigh, N.C. December 15, 1905.

Postcard Back - Birmingham: 20th Street

 


Birmingham - Third Avenue

By the 1890s, Birmingham had evolved from a rough and tumble “boom town” to a civilized city with paved streets, gaslights, and telephone service. This postcard shows the intersection of Third Avenue and 20th Avenue in Birmingham. This is typical scene of a business district in early 1900s. The building on the corner is Blach’s, a family-owned department store chain founded in 1885 by German immigrant Julius Blach. The store was located in downtown Birmingham until it closed in 1988.

Color print of the business section of Third Avenue in Birmingham, Alabama at night with white lights stretched across street. Postmarked April 29, 1910.

Postcard Back - Birmingham: Third Avenue

Transcription

4/28 B.ham Dear Bessie will pen you a few lines after so long a time Geo. is to buisey to write and I am not doing much today Annie is getting a long prety fairly well Francis quit last Sat. eav. We have got a little colt a month old we have named it marchwind its as fat as a roll of butter Lutherrow has gone to hot springs Levy is here yet Morris got the last of his H. H. goods a way to day my next work will be at Ensley ice plant Annie is going to come home some time next week had a card from Ruby last wk write when you can Willie Addressed to : Miss Bessie Miller Fountaintown Ind. Route # 1

 


Carbon Hill - Front Street

Carbon Hill, a city in Walker County, was first settled in the 1820s. The railroad and coal mining brought more people to the area. The town was incorporated on February 14, 1891. The founding fathers specifically chose Valentine's Day because they wanted the tiny town to be known as The Village of Love and Luck. The notion of coal as luck derives from the cultural traditions of Scotland.

Black and white photograph of unpaved Front Street in Carbon Hill, Alabama showing a two-story commercial building.

Postcard Back - Carbon Hill: Front Street

 


Jacksonville - Public Square

Jacksonville, in Calhoun County, was founded in 1833 on land purchased from a Creek Indian Chief. The town was first called Drayton and then Madison, but renamed in honor of President Andrew Jackson in 1835 and incorporated in 1836. A fire in 1883 destroyed much of the town surrounding the square and was followed by a building boom that included an opera house. This postcard shows the Jacksonville Public Square in the 1930s. This downtown historic district and gathering place is at the heart of the city.

Black and white photograph of the Jacksonville, Alabama public square.

Postcard Back - Jacksonville: East Side Square

Transcription

Pfc Edward Lentz 32848478, 433 M. P. E. G Co, Internment Camp, Fort McClelland Ala. - again Hello Dear Love & Kisses Eddie Addressed to: Mrs. Edward Lentz 124 Partridge St Elmira, New York

 


Jasper - Third Avenue

Jasper is the county seat of Walker County. Jasper was settled in the early 1800s and named after Revolutionary War hero Sergeant William Jasper. Its first settler, E. D. Musgrove, donated land to the county for the establishment of the city with the stipulation that it be designated as the county seat. The city was incorporated in 1887. This postcard shows the Jasper Business district in the early 1900s.

Color print of Third Avenue in Jasper, Alabama showing a row of red brick multi-story buildings. Postmarked August 31, 1908.

Postcard Back - Jasper: Third Avenue

Transcription

A. H. H. 8/30/08 Addressed to: Mrs. A. H. Hummer, 844 S. Des Plaines Av. Forest Park Ills.

 


Sylacauga - Broadway  Street

Sylacauga is a city in Talladega County and the center of Alabama’s marble industry. The city was first incorporated in 1838 as Syllacoga and again in 1887 as Sylacauga. The commercial marble quarries began to appear a few years later. Broadway Street is Sylacauga's main thoroughfare. This is a postcard of how the town looked in the 1920s.

Black and white print of unpaved Broadway Street in Sylacauga, Alabama showing two-story commercial buildings. Postmarked on February 19, 1909.

Postcard Back - Sylacauga: Broadway Avenue

Transcription

Are you still enjoying those "sleigh rides" with Gene or has he been doing as usual talking but not riding- Regards to all in B- Jos. W. C. Addressed to: Miss Emily Powers, Berryville, Clarke County, Virginia

 


Tuscaloosa - Greensboro Avenue

Tuscaloosa is the seat of Tuscaloosa County. It was founded in 1819 and named after an Indian chieftain named Tascaluza. Tuscaloosa was incorporated on December 13, 1819, a day before Alabama was admitted to the Union. From 1826 to 1846, it was the state capital of Alabama. During this period, in 1831, the University of Alabama was established. Greensboro Avenue was the main street of Tuscaloosa when this postcard was published.

Black and white print of unpaved Greensboro Avenue in residential Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Postmarked July 17, 1907.

Postcard Back - Tuscaloosa: Greensboro Avenue

Transcription

Addressed to: Mrs. Leliau McFarland 507 West Auglaize St. Wapakoneta, Ohio

 

BACK TO TOP ▲

Cookie Acknowledgment
This website uses cookies to collect information and to improve your browsing experience. Please review our privacy statement for more information.