Minimal Requirements for Entrance
- Biology (12 hours)- (upper level human/animal biology courses are recommended. These courses may include cell biology, physiology, human anatomy, embryology, histology,microbiology, and others)
- General Chemistry with lab (8 hours)
- Organic Chemistry with lab (8 hours)
- Biochemistry with lab (4 hours) is strongly recommended
- General Physics with lab (8 hours)
- Mathematics* (6 hours) *Calculus is highly recommended
- English (composition and literature) (6 hours)
- 30 hours of non-science coursework such as English, courses in social sciences and humanities are recommended. Course to enhance manual dexterity (sculpting, painting, etc) are encouraged. (Physical education, military science and similar courses are not acceptable as part of the minimum non-science requirements.
- All coursework must be taken within the last 5 years before applying.
- Job Shadowing is important when applying to dental school. Most schools require some hours shadowing with general dentists. Most students try to observe between 50-100 hours.
- Reference letters- you will need a reference letter submitted by at least one dentist. The Pre Health advisor will help you the academic committee letter or individual letters from instructors.
- Students applying to dental school will apply through the ADEA AADSAS centralized application system and will be required to take the DAT entrance exam.
Dental Schools in Alabama
University of Alabama at Birmingham
School of Dentistry
UAB School of Dentistry offers the DMD degree, DMD,/ PhD program, DMD/MBA program, and the DMD / IDP (Internation Dentist Program)
The programs are accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation.
UAB offer two pipeline programs for communities underrepresented in the dental profession.
Four years pre-medical/bachelor's degree, 4 years dental school.
You may want to pursue a residency in a specific field of dentistry or pursue general dentistry.
Applying to Dental School
Contact the Pre-Health Advisor for a course plan of Study. Pre-Health Advisor for Troy University is Ms. Janet Gaston
Degree / Major
Any major is acceptable as long as you meet the minimal entrance requirements.
The following courses are strongly recommended for students to enter and survive dental school:
- Cell Biology
- Human Anatomy
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
DAT (Dental Admission Test)
American Dental Association
ADEA AADSAS (American Dental Education Association)
655 K Street, NW, Suite 800
Pre - Dental Club
Troy University has a Pre-Dental Club for those students interested in pursuing dentistry as a career. The mission is the provide guest speakers for its member, serve as mentors to help with the application process, prepare for the DAT exam, job shadowing, and providing community service projects.
There are many study materials for purchase to study for the DAT exam. Some commonly used are Kaplan Exam Test Prep, DAT Bootcamp, DAT Prep Course (Coursesaver), and Princeton Review Exam Prep. There are some free study materials (such as CRUSH The DAT)
Questions or comments? Contact the TROY Office of the Pre-Professional Studies.