Helpful Hints | Troy University

Helpful Hints

Things I should know


What is FERPA?
The purpose of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, also known as the Buckley Amendment, is to provide students certain rights with respect to their student records. This Act also protects the student's privacy from the indiscriminate collection, maintenance, disclosure and release of personally identifiable student information, including information regarding student status or performance.

To whom does FERPA apply?
FERPA applies to students who are or who have been in attendance at TROY University. It does not cover applicants who are denied admission, those who applied but did not attend and deceased students.

When do FERPA rights begin?
FERPA begins the first day students attend classes. It is the policy of TROY University to protect the privacy rights of students as much as possible.

Where can I find more information on FERPA?
For more information on student rights under FERPA, go to: FERPA General Guidance for Students

How do I request a review of my records?
Students and former students may formally request to review their education records in writing using the following form to which the institution will respond to within 45 calendar days. Please fill out this form: FERPA Form

Check your records.

Students are strongly encouraged to check their records on a regular basis. It is your responsibility to verify the accuracy of your records. If you find that your records contain incorrect information, please contact your local Records Office Official to resolve the issue. Click here for contact information

Register for classes.

When searching for classes via Trojan Web Express at least 3 different fields must be completed.

Always check the location information - Online classes will be indicated with a location of TROY Online.

Double-check the session dates for courses - Troy offers full semester courses (16 weeks), session/term courses (9 weeks) and weekend courses (meet only selected weekends). The variability of the different courses depends upon campus location.

If you are unable to complete registration/enrollment because there is a hold on your account please contact the appropriate office.

If you are unable to complete registration due to prerequisite holds or receive an error message regarding registration, please contact your advisor.

Please note that some students may be required to meet with their advisor in order to register each semester. It is suggested that all students meet with their advisor at least once each year to ensure they are completing their requirements and are on track towards graduation.

Drop your classes.

As a Troy University student, it is your responsibility to drop or withdraw from classes if you are not planning to attend. Failing to attend classes does not constitute a drop/withdrawal.

You will need to officially drop your courses online or through the Records office. Failure to do so will result in your being held financially responsible for tuition and fees and any grades issued for the courses in question may negatively impact your GPA.

For more information please select Drop/Withdrawal from the menu bar on the left.

File your Graduation Application on time.

It is the responsibility of every student to file your Graduation Application to be considered for graduation. You must file your Graduation Application before the deadline posted by your local Records Office. If you fail to meet this deadline, you will be considered for graduation during the next available commencement period.

The University Records Office recommends that Bachelor students who have earned a minimum of 100 credit hours and Masters and Educational Specialist students who have earned a minimum of 24 credit hours contact their advisors prior to filing for graduation.

Graduate Students.

The Admission to Candidacy form must be completed and signed before you complete 18 semester hours or a registration restriction will be placed on your account.