Enrollment is open to all children in the community with the goal of having a diverse
population that is representative of the Wiregrass.
When to Apply
- Waiting List Applications are accepted throughout the year.
- Openings typically occur during the year when a currently enrolled child leaves or is promoted to another classroom.
- An increased number of children are accepted at the start of the new school session in August of each year.
- Completing and submitting an application does not guarantee enrollment.
Waiting List Process
- Children six (6) weeks through five (5) years of age are eligible to enroll.
- The Waiting List Application may be completed and submitted on line or you may obtain a hard copy in person at Coleman Center for Early Learning and Family Enrichment. The hard copy application must be completed and submitted to Coleman Center.
- The Waiting List Application will be dated upon receipt and children will be placed on the waiting list in the
order in which the application was received.
Enrollment priority is determined by the following criteria:
- Siblings of currently enrolled children (receive first consideration for enrollment but guarantee is not made that they will receive a position).
- Date that the child was placed on the waiting list.
- Age of the child.
- Number of positions available for a particular age group.
- Date of desired enrollment as indicated on the Waiting List Application.
- Research/lab and high-quality teacher training requirements (gender, age, race, ethnicity, special needs, and, family income).
- When a position becomes available the parent/legal guardian will be contacted via phone and/or email. The family will be given 48 hours to accept or decline the position. This time frame reduces wait time for those on the waiting list.
- Failure to respond to messages within 48 hours will be considered declining the position and the child will be removed from the waiting list.
- If a position is offered and declined the child will be removed from the waiting list.
- The child may be placed at the end of the waiting list per request.
- If you have a change in your contact information, you are requested to notify Coleman Center with the updates regarding phone number and address.
- The child will remain on the waiting list unless the parent/legal guardian requests
to be removed either in writing or email.
Accepting the Position
- If the position is accepted, the parent/legal guardian must submit a $100.00 non-refundable deposit fee and pick up the required registration paperwork or submit online (see below). All forms must be completed, signed and submitted to the Coleman Center office prior to the child’s first day. Please note that all information must be completed (including addresses, phone numbers, etc.).
- If the fee is not submitted as requested, the position will be offered to the next
child on the waiting list.
Alabama First Class Pre-K is a program offered by the State of Alabama. There is a separate waiting list/enrollment process for eligible students (must turn four (4) on or before September 2). Enrollment is based on a lottery system. Specific guidelines will be provided prior to the enrollment period. Other participating grants may also have separate waiting lists and enrollment processes.
The following forms must be submitted to Coleman Center before the child enters the program.
They must be completed, signed and returned to the Coleman Center office. Please note that all information must be completed (including addresses, phone numbers, etc.):
- Preadmission Record Forms (2 pages)
- Parent/Legal Guardian Authorization Form
- Financial Authorization Form
- Informed Consent Form
- Health Information Form
- Medication Authorization Form (if needed)
- Infant Monthly Update (less than 18 months)
- Toddler or Preschool Questionnaire Form
- Talent Release Form
- State of Alabama Certificate of Immunization (Coleman Center may access if immunizations are from Alabama and are current)
- Enrollment/Deposit fee ($100)
A parent/legal guardian must inform Coleman Center of any changes that may occur related to their job, address, phone numbers, immunizations, and other pertinent information.